TAL: The Acronym List
Many KIDNEY-ONC newbies are confused by the welter of acronyms. Here lives
help! Some acronyms are specific to cancer and kidney cancer and others are
used Internet-wide. In the spirit of buy one, get one free, we give you both!
Commonly Used Acronyms on Kidney-Onc
- Complete Response - no cancer can be detected after treatment. Note
that tumors too small to see may still be present and may cause a later
relapse. See also PR
- Diagnosis as in "Dx'd with RCC just last week"
- HD IL-2
- High-dose IL-2 (see below); a program of Interleukin treatment involving high doses delivered in a hospital ICU or specialized Interleukin ward
- Interleukin-2. A powerful immune stimulating drug which is FDA approved
for the treatment of metastatic RCC
- Interferon. Another biological drug which is often used to treat
metastatic RCC, often in conjunction with IL-2 or other drugs. There are
actually quite a few different types of interferon. The interferon used
most to treat RCC is alpha-interferon
- KCA or NKCA
- Kidney Cancer Association - an organization just for us! Call them at
800-850-9132 or check out their web site.
- LD IL-2
- Low-dose IL-2 (see above), in which Interleukin-2 is taken at home in low doses administered by self-injection under the skin
- Renal Cell Carcinoma - the most common adult kidney cancer.
- Transitional Cell Carcinoma - a much rarer form of kidney cancer
which is related to bladder cancer.
- Short for metastases which secondary tumors which have started from
cells shed by the kidney cancer.
- Standard oncology jargon for No Evidence of Disease - no sign of cancer
anywhere - a good thing! On the list we talk about staying with "Uncle NED".
This is not standard oncology jargon!
- National Cancer Institute - the US National Cancer Research Institute -
does many clinical trials (experimental treatment tests) for kidney cancer.
- National Institutes of Health - parent organization of NCI
- Oncologist - a doctor specializing in cancer treatment... there are
medical oncologists who specialize in drug treatment as well as radiation
oncologists and surgical oncologists.
- Partial Response - roughly a shrinkage of total tumor mass of at least
50% but with some detectable tumor still remaining. See also CR.
- Three Letter Acronym. See RCC, TCC, NED, IFN, KCA, NCI, NIH, TLA.
Commonly Used Acronyms On the Internet
IMHO all the acronyms used on the net sure can be confusing! BTW,
IMHO means, "In My Humble Opinion."
FWIW, BTW means "By The Way." For
What It's Worth, If you think my writing style is funny,
you may be LOL. If you think it's more funny, you might not only be
Laughing Out Loud, but you may be ROTFL. If you
think it's REALLY funny you might not merely be Rolling On
The Floor Laughing, but you may actually be
ROTFLMAO. And that means, "Rolling On The
Floor Laughing My Ass Off"! And saving the
acronym most appropriate to KIDNEY-ONC for last, YMMV means,
"Your Mileage May Vary."
This Kidney-Onc FAQ Page
By Steve Dunn. Copyright 2001 Steve Dunn
Last Updated April 3, 2007